Saturday, August 1, 2009

Installing Fedora11 from Hard-disk

I have had Fedora-9 installed since long and wanted to move to Fedora-11. I also have windows xp already installed, Here is how I installed Fedora-11 from the hard disk itslef...

  • Booted the machine in windows, downloaded the fedora11 dvd iso in one partition(d:\, its FAT32).

  • Extracted images/install.img from fedora archive into d:\images\

  • Extracted vmlinuz, initrd.img from isolinux directory in the fedora archive into c:\boot\ from the above iso.

  • Downloaded grub4dos-0.4.1.zip and extracted folder grub into c:\boot\.

  • Edited c:\boot\grub\menu.lst, and appended following..
    title my fedora-11 install
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

  • Extracted file grldr from grub4dos-0.4.1.zip to c:\.

  • Edit boot.ini and ..append c:\grldr="Start Linux" at the end with a newline.

  • Reboot the machine, select "my fedora-11 install" , on prompt for source of installation select Hard-disk, then select the partition where you saved the fedora iso and then the anaconda installer launches. I like to keep SElinux disabled.


Others...This is the extra stuff I did to start with....

  • Added rpmfusion yum repository to get smplayer.

  • Installed kdebase package for konsole.

No comments:

Post a Comment